About the Event
ADVOCACY TO EXECUTIVE SECRETARY OF NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR COLLEGES OF EDUCATION (NCCE) PROF. PAULINUS CHIJIOKE OKWELLE ON SPOTLIGHT INITIATIVE PROJECT ACTIVITY 4.2.17 PROVIDE ACCELERATED SECOND CHANCE EDUCATION & LIVELIHOOD SKILLS FOR OUT OF SCHOOL GIRLS AND YOUNG WOMEN FACING INTERSECTING MARGINALIZATION IN NIGERIA ON 12TH SEPTEMBER, 2022.
The Non-Governmental Association for Literacy Support Services (NOGALSS) is the Apex/Umbrella Body of all NGOs established to complement efforts of government at all levels and also saddled with the responsibility of uniting, serving and coordinating the activities of all NGOs, CBOs and other Private Voluntary Organizations in the delivery of Adult and Non-Formal Education in Nigeria.
NOGALSS in collaboration with UNESCO under EU-UN Spotlight Initiative Provide Accelerated Second Chance Education and Livelihood Skills for Out-of-School girls and young women facing Intersecting Marginalization in Adamawa, Ebonyi and FCT. The project is targeting minimum of 10,000 women and girls, some of whom may wish to mainstream to the formal school system. The Spotlight Initiative is a Global Multi-Year Partnership between the European Union and the United Nations.
The Spotlight Initiative Accelerated Second Chance Education is focusing on eliminating all forms of violence against women and girls and was launched in September 2017, by the UN Secretary-General, the European Union High Representative and the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
NOGALSS is engaged to implement the Non-Formal Education component of the project. We shall be working in collaboration with the State Agencies for Mass Education (SAMEs) and other relevant stakeholders in all the implementing states.
The NOGALSS National Executive Council has resolved that the project be implemented in all the Colleges of Education in the implementing States and FCT for the illiterates within and immediate environment of the Institution to be beneficiaries of the Project. It is expected that each College of Education is to determine the number of classes to be established. More details of the project will be discussed at the technical session after this courtesy visit.
In the phase 1 of the Spotlight Initiative, NOGALSS was contracted by UNESCO to implement Activity 4.2.2 To Produce Information and Education Package for Basic Education in Nigeria focusing on Violence Against Women and Girls, Sexual and Gender Based Violence, Harmful Practices, Sexual and Reproductive Health Right (VAWG/SGBV/HP/SRHR). The package was unveiled on 7th December, 2021 by the Hon. Minister of State For Education Chuwuemeka Nwajiuba at UN House, Abuja.
In this second phase of Spotlight Initiative, the following activities have been carried out:
- Inception Meetings at the Implementing States (FCT, Adamawa and Ebonyi).
- Stakeholders Meeting where all relevant Ministries, Agencies, CSOs and UN Agencies were in attendance.
- Developed and Validated the Facilitators Manual on GBV, Life Skills, Family Health and Education have been developed to be used in the implementation of the project.
- Our current activities include: Mobilization of Learners, Facilitators and Massive Advocacy to all relevant Stakeholders and Partners.
As a major Stakeholder in Education, we have come to intimate you of this laudable project and to seek your support in the following areas:
- A focal person from your Commission be appointed as the representative of the Commission who will be reporting on the progress of the project to you.
- To support in the Monitoring and Evaluation of the project in the implementing Colleges of Education.
- To support the visibility of the Second Chance Education as a means to ending violence against women and girls thereby bringing about positive changes in the norm, attitude and behaviors where all women and girls live a life free from all forms of Gender Based Violence.
- Re-affirm the Policy by allowing Non-Formal Education Centres to take place in the premises of the Colleges of Education in Nigeria.
- Provide media support for the Spotlight Initiative Project through your media department.
- Inaugurate NCCE – NOGALSS Joint Committee to reposition and strengthen the Adult and Non-Formal Adult Education Program thereby boosting the enrollment drive into the Adult Education Department in all the Colleges of Education in Nigeria.
NOGALSS shall utilize the effort of the Media as it represents a world with voice, vision, visibility, publicity and awareness creation, it will help to condemn this tragic violence against women and girls to achieve the Second Chance Education. This will also expose all the ills meted against women and girls and serve as a voice to the voiceless.
In conclusion therefore, let me reiterate that this Initiative cannot achieve its set objectives without your cooperation, supports, advice and the critical role of the Media in your Commission. This will help to ensure massive awareness creation and information dissemination of the project.
NOGALSS wishes to sincerely, appreciate the Executive Secretary and his vibrant Directors for unwavering passion for the effective delivery of Adult and Non-Formal Education in Nigeria and also partaking in this Spotlight Initiative. As the Umbrella Body of all NGOs and PVOs in Adult and Non-Formal Education delivery in Nigeria, we shall support you in areas of community sensitization and advocacy, media and publicity, technical support and to be your foot soldiers leading to unprecedented promotion of Adult Education Programme in all the Colleges of Education in Nigeria as government cannot do it alone. We have no doubt in our minds that with collective efforts and commitment, delivering as one, we shall achieve a Nigeria where the enrolment into the Adult Education Programme will compete favourably with other departments in our Colleges of Education thereby making Nigeria to rank among the highest literate Nations in the world.